Pages

Saturday 22 February 2014

What Is Hiding Under Your Snow?

Welcome to the Bobcaygeon and District Horticultural Society blog number 2.

Although it may seem to you that the snow covering our yards will probably not melt until July but, we know from experience that it will eventually find its way much sooner into the ground.Then,those joyful moments of gardening will be upon us once again. Are you ready for what may be lurking within your soil?

In a recent visit to my family doctor I was asked how I occupied my days. When I proudly confessed I enjoyed working in my garden and being ever so pleased with the fruits of my labour and my wife`s as well, I was asked when I last had a tetanus booster shot. I wondered what gardening in wonderful Bobcaygeon soil,or any soil and tetanus had in common. To my surprise,there is a strong connection between gardening and tetanus.

Now may be the time to gather information on how to protect yourself for the upcoming gardening season.

Perform a web search using the words " Gardening and Tetanus."Several of the websites are Canadian so you will obtain a Canadian perspective.

I found the following website quite informative. It shares invaluable gardening health and safety tips.The authors of this site are the Centers for Disease Controls and Prevention from Atlanta, Georgia,USA. The website address is www.cdc.gov/family/gardening

I hope you find the information of value to you and your family. Safe and healthy gardening in 2014. There really is green and brown and perhaps your favourite missing trowel under all that lovely fluffy white stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment